Y A RARE WILLIAM & MARY OLIVEWOOD, CROSSBANDED AND IVORY INLAID CHEST OF DRAWERS CIRCA 1690 87cm high, 97cm wide, 58cm deepProvenance: A hand written label to the interior of one drawer reads 'Ivory and walnut chest is late XVII 17th Century from blue drawing room of Norfolk House ** James's ** (Duke of N)'.Norfolk House at St. James Square, Westminster was built between 1748 and 1752 as the London townhouse of Edward Howard, 9th Duke Of Norfolk(1686-1777). This building was demolished in 1938. Norfolk House was built on a site formerly occupied by two houses, namely St Albans House, the residence of the Earl of St Albans (purchased by Thomas Howard 8th Duke of Norfolk in 1722 ) and the other the residence of John Belasyse, 1st Baron Belasyse (1614-1689) (purchased by the 9th Duke of Norfolk in 1748). Both these houses were demolished in 1748 by the 9th Duke of Norfolk in preparation for his new house.St Albans House was a royal residence for a short time, after the 9th Duke of Norfolk offered it to Frederick, Prince of Wales following his marriage in 1736 to Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha The couple lived there 1737-1741, and their son King George III was born in the house. The family moved to Leicester House in 1742, which remained the prince's home until his death nine years later, and that of his widow until her death in 1772.Please note, Dreweatts have applied for a de minimis exemption licence for the ivory in this lot (Ref: J9PQQ7R8)
Y A RARE WILLIAM & MARY OLIVEWOOD, CROSSBANDED AND IVORY INLAID CHEST OF DRAWERS CIRCA 1690 87cm high, 97cm wide, 58cm deepProvenance: A hand written label to the interior of one drawer reads 'Ivory and walnut chest is late XVII 17th Century from blue drawing room of Norfolk House ** James's ** (Duke of N)'.Norfolk House at St. James Square, Westminster was built between 1748 and 1752 as the London townhouse of Edward Howard, 9th Duke Of Norfolk(1686-1777). This building was demolished in 1938. Norfolk House was built on a site formerly occupied by two houses, namely St Albans House, the residence of the Earl of St Albans (purchased by Thomas Howard 8th Duke of Norfolk in 1722 ) and the other the residence of John Belasyse, 1st Baron Belasyse (1614-1689) (purchased by the 9th Duke of Norfolk in 1748). Both these houses were demolished in 1748 by the 9th Duke of Norfolk in preparation for his new house.St Albans House was a royal residence for a short time, after the 9th Duke of Norfolk offered it to Frederick, Prince of Wales following his marriage in 1736 to Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha The couple lived there 1737-1741, and their son King George III was born in the house. The family moved to Leicester House in 1742, which remained the prince's home until his death nine years later, and that of his widow until her death in 1772.Please note, Dreweatts have applied for a de minimis exemption licence for the ivory in this lot (Ref: J9PQQ7R8)
Testen Sie LotSearch und seine Premium-Features 7 Tage - ohne Kosten!
Lassen Sie sich automatisch über neue Objekte in kommenden Auktionen benachrichtigen.
Suchauftrag anlegen